Scribe & Green on the BIG screen

There are far too many people out there writing “reviews of movie-films & articles about them with absolutely no clue what the hell they’re talking about." Here are 2 more of them! (Well, one of us knows what the h___ we're talking about, but we'll leave it up to you to decide who that is...) Ultimately, can two people as opposite as Scribe and Green agree on anything?? That's where the fun begins. Won't you join us? (Every now and then we'll add a guest review, just for kicks.)

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Gone Baby Gone

Bluez first suggested that we review this film back in March. Since Scribe-o and I try to stick with the free library rentals, it has taken us a while to check out this apparently immensely popular movie. So without delaying the inevitable any longer and for your reading pleasure, I present to you the following reviews:

GREEN'S EVERY DECISION HAS ITS CONSEQUENCES REVIEW:

Riveting.

I don’t say that about many movies, but this one definitely is.

About a month and a half ago when I watched this movie for the first time, from the opening scene to the end of the film I was on the edge of my seat. Even though the subject matter is, shall we say, less than savory, I liked this film enough that I bought it for my DVD collection. I watched it again a few days ago to refresh my memory and found it just as riveting as the first time.

The cast is superb. Casey Affleck proves here that he can be a leading actor, instead of just a bit player as he has been in most of his movies. Ed Harris gives his usual excellent performance and may be one of the most underrated actors in the last fifteen years. What can you say about Morgan Freeman? The man exudes class, even in his relatively small but vital role. Michelle Monaghan, John Ashton, Amy Ryan and Amy Madigan are also good in their respective roles. One of the things I like about this movie is that the bit parts are played by non professional actors; just real people from real Boston area neighborhoods getting their chance at acting. I also like movies filmed entirely on location in Massachusetts (and New England in general) and not on some sound stage in Hollywood or some location other than where the action is supposed to take place.

I was a little bit concerned going in to this film when I heard that the director was Mr. Jennifer Garner, my not so favorite actor with local roots- Ben Affleck. However, I seriously underestimated him as a director and if this film is any indication of his future behind the camera, then he’s off to a very good start. Of course it helps to have good source material. Affleck and Aaron Stockard did a great job adapting Dennis Lehane’s novel to the big screen.

The DVD extras are also worthwhile viewing.

This is a movie that is well worth the 114 minutes of your life that it will take to watch.


***** out of *****

SCRIBE'S DESCENT INTO MORAL AMBIGUITY REVIEW:

Loathe as I am to agree with Green these days, "Gone Baby Gone" is a very good movie. I wouldn't classify it as "riveting," however, unless that word's definition can be strectched to include the fact that I feel asleep on the really quiet part for a couple minutes during the day and had to rewind an important plot point.

The acting is superb, especially on the part of Casey Affleck, whose portrayal makes me forget how annoying the Boston accent really is. It's difficult to understand some of the dialogue and Boston people in general tend to come across as crass, classless and bigoted as hell, but it works in this film about the missing child of a piece of garbage coke-head. The other actors are dependable and it would've been shocking if they hadn't been good. Morgan Freeman (who seems a bit out of place) Ed Harris and John Ashton are great.

Ben Affleck's direction is excellent. He truly has an eye and a future in feature film making. Dennis Lehane's source material is far superior to the greatly disappointing, Clint Eastwood directed, Mystic River with its total lack of a third act.

My only complaint about this film is the so-called "conspiracy." Although effective, its roots are not properly foreshadowed throughout the film and come dangeorusly close to left field territory when revealed. The moral choice the hero must make at the end is what makes the film work so well. The consequences of his choice are exactly what is expected.


**** out of *****

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 06 August, 2008 19:03 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the film, I'm glad you both appreciated Ben's directorial in this movie. I think I wouldn't have had so many starts and stops and restarts regarding the plot and the almost three endings, it was a bit frustrating. Only other thing that bugged me was that all the characters seemed to be flawed, I mean how many people would you run into on a good day in Boston that had so much attitude, unless of course you go to a Boston Red Sox game that is....


Too many mean people but a great movie none the less.

Amy Madigan sure didn't age well thats for sure,

 
At 06 August, 2008 23:08 , Blogger American Guy said...

wow, i don't know which is wierder - that you two agree AGAIN, or that green gave full marks to a film that didn't have jennifer aniston in it.

 
At 06 August, 2008 23:14 , Blogger Tim said...

Attitude? Apparently you have never driven in or through Boston. I have and its not pretty if you don't know what you're doing. I only drive in Boston accidentally.

Bostonians as a whole I think have that attitide problem or are percieved as such by folks outside of New England, except at Fenway Park, where attitude is put aside for the sake of passion for the game, (unless of course the Yankees are in town then look out.)

Remember though, this is another film that showcases the underside of Boston, which doesn't present the best representation of the populace as a whole.

I agree, Amy Madigan has not aged well at all.

 
At 07 August, 2008 15:46 , Blogger scribe said...

bluez,

I had no problem with the damaged characters. Dennis lehane worked with abused children before becoming published and these are the people he met.

AG<

I know. I re-watched the film looking for her talent-less ass but she was nowhere to be found!

 
At 11 August, 2008 11:29 , Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Hopefully the next review will provoke a bit more discussion and name-calling.

 
At 12 August, 2008 12:46 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

another request.

"Candy" 2006

Heath Ledger & Abby Cornish with a stellar performance by Jeffrey Rush. I wanna see what you guys think of his acting in this film.

 
At 12 August, 2008 15:13 , Blogger scribe said...

oh, god.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home